Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recycle - Recycle - Recycle

I have taken a hard look at my families buying and consuming habits. We were out of control to say the least. I knew we weren’t alone. I was making purchases just because I or we wanted that particular item. I didn’t think twice about the packaging. I just didn’t pay attention and most of the packaging went into the trash anyway. That is why I began to read the boxes (to see if they were made from recycled material) and made a point to get my family involved in knowing the difference as well. My goal was to make sure I was able to recycle the packaging from everything we purchased. Each type of material or packaging has a symbol that reflects whether it can be recycled or was processed from recycled materials. I felt paper and cardboard was a good place to start. Think about this, some boxes can also be reused and again this too will help with reducing waste. With just some small changes to my shopping list I have been able to change my buying habits so my waste habits would benefit. Of course our recycling bins have grown but it warms my heart to make a difference. So take a hard look at what you are bringing into your home. Is it recyclable? Was it made with recycled material? Try looking at your shopping list in a different prospective. You will save money in the long run by reducing your waste removal cost. Not to mention you will also make an environmental difference as well.

1 comment:

  1. I love your post Dawn! I'm so proud at the end of the week when our recycle bin is overflowing and our trash can is light! It's the little things that make such a difference. I'm a bit neurotic but every piece of mail that comes into our home has the plastic window removed and the rest recycled.

    ReplyDelete