Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Compost Indoors All Year Round

At this point in my composting life, I am freezing my food scraps. That's right, freezing vegetables, fruit, egg shells, coffee grinds, tea bags and filters. I do this because its getting cold out and I would rather not run out to the bins every day. Instead I will add my scraps once a week. I also add shredded paper to this mix. Notice I didn't mention meat, fish, bread and dairy products. Thats because traditionally it is not recomended because of the wild life this may attract. Now you can use a crock that is made to contain food scraps. They can be placed on your counter top and are very stylish. There are however products out now that will alow you to put all table scraps including meat, fish, egg, bread, dairy products and fish bones as well.
I know...it's hard to believe. This gives you the benefit of adding nitrogen(Green) and carbon(Brown). Nitrogen being your fruits, vegetable scraps, meat, chicken, fish, fish bones, shrimp tails, cheese, eggs, egg shells, tea leaves, grass & plant clippings. Now your carbon materials will be sawdust, wood shavings (untreated, unpainted), nuts, nut shells, bread, rice, pasta, grains, straw, dry flowers, small yard leaves, coffee grinds and paper filters. Can you imagine the look on your trash collectors face when you call to change your garbage pick up plan to a smaller one. Not to mention the satifaction you will feel to have made such a big impact as one family on a mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment