Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Can I Recycle That?

This is a question my kids ask me all of the time. Can I recycle that? I want to talk about that question and use for example: egg cartons. Egg cartons have been a big issue in my house for years. I felt like I was always pulling egg cartons out of the trash. Egg cartons are on the list of do not recycle items. However, I have found that I do not feel good about throwing them out. The cardboard egg cartons make a great fire starter. I like to fill them with dryer lint and shredded paper. That creates a good steady burn. This can be used outside in a fire pit and inside in a wood stove as well. Now please, do not use the polystyrene cartons as a fire starter, they will only melt and send toxic fumes into the air. Only use cardboard egg cartons. Cardboard egg cartons are also good for seed starting. After the seeds starts to sprout, place them directly in the ground and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.
Now for the polystyrene egg cartons. I usually give them to my local farmers (at the local farmers market) so they can reuse them. I have found the farmers to be more than happy to take them off of my hands. If you have young children, you may also find a home in their preschool class room or elementary art classes. Many crafts are created with the egg carton. Other uses for both are shipping containers for home made goodies, shipping materials (used to insulate and protect) and even a change sorter. If they must to be thrown out, put one or two in the bottom of your fresh trash bag and use them to prevent the bag from tearing and leaking. I would certainly hope that we would choose to find other uses for our egg cartons but I understand that sometimes we have no choice. My next topic will be added next Tuesday, December 1st. I will continue talking about what not to recycle as well as alternative uses. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment